In this article, we are proud to share with you our recipe for Old Fashion Southern Style Homemade Banana Pudding. This classic dessert is a staple in many Southern homes and is enjoyed by all ages. It is a perfect treat for any occasion, from family gatherings to potluck dinners.
To make Homemade Banana Pudding, gather the following ingredients:
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 cups milk
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 carton 8 oz cool whip
- 4 bananas
- 36 vanilla wafers
Let’s dive into the step-by-step process of making Banana Pudding Recipe:
- Combine milk and sugar in a bowl and stir for one minute.
- Add in cornstarch and stir.
- Whisk eggs and add to the milk mixture.
- Add salt and whisk all for two minutes.
- Pour mixture into a medium saucepan and heat until it begins to boil, whisking frequently.
- Once thickened, take off the heat and stir in vanilla extract and butter.
- Strain the custard and cover with a plastic wrap, making sure it touches the pudding. Let cool slightly then put in the refrigerator for four hours.
- To assemble the pudding, layer the bottom of a white truffle bowl or 9 by 13 baking dish with a 1/3 of pudding, 1/3 of vanilla wafers, 1/3 of sliced bananas and 1/3 of whipped topping. Repeat twice more, garnishing with additional vanilla wafers.
- Cover tightly and chill in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours. Enjoy!
Why Our Old Fashion Southern Style Homemade Banana Pudding is the Best?
- Our recipe for Old Fashion Southern Style Homemade Banana Pudding is a crowd-pleaser for many reasons.
- First and foremost, it is made from scratch with fresh ingredients. We believe that this sets our pudding apart from the competition, as many other recipes rely on packaged pudding mixes or canned ingredients.
- Secondly, our pudding is rich and creamy without being too sweet. The combination of whole milk, sweetened condensed milk, and egg yolks creates a velvety smooth texture that melts in your mouth.
- Lastly, our recipe includes the perfect ratio of vanilla wafers to bananas to pudding. The layers of wafers and bananas provide a satisfying crunch, while the creamy pudding ties everything together in perfect harmony.
Tips for Making the Perfect Old Fashion Southern Style Homemade Banana Pudding:
- Use ripe bananas. You want them to be soft and sweet for the best flavor.
- Be sure to separate the eggs and beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. This will give your pudding a light and fluffy texture.
- Don’t be afraid to let your pudding cool. It will thicken up as it cools and be easier to slice and serve.
- If you want to get creative, try adding a layer of whipped cream or toasted coconut on top of the pudding for added flavor and texture.
By following these tips and tricks, you’ll be well on your way to making the perfect old-fashioned Southern-style homemade banana pudding. Your guests will be impressed, and you’ll have a new go-to dessert recipe for all your future gatherings.
Find your next favorite dish recipe. Subscribe to My Youtube Channel!