Are you looking for a tasty and nutritious meal that you can prepare quickly and easily? Look no further than the classic tuna salad sandwich! With a variety of delicious and healthy ingredients, this sandwich is a great option for lunch, dinner, or even a snack. In this article, we’ll guide you through the process of making the best tuna salad sandwich you’ve ever had.
Before we get started, let’s make sure we have all the necessary ingredients for our tuna salad sandwich. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 (5 oz) chunky light tuna in water
- 2 Tbsps chopped red onion
- ⅓ cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp sweet relish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 slices of bread
To make this sandwich, you’ll need a few pieces of equipment:
- A large mixing bowl
- A fork or whisk
- A sharp knife
- A cutting board
How to Make Tuna Salad Sandwich
Now that we have all our ingredients and equipment ready, let’s start making the tuna salad sandwich. Here’s how:
- Dice the celery and chop the red onion.
- Cut the lid off of a can of chunk light tuna in water and drain the liquid.
- Place the drained tuna in a medium bowl, breaking off any large pieces with a fork.
- Add the red onion and sweet relish, mixing well.
- Add mustard and mayonnaise into the bowl and mix until combined.
- Add salt and pepper to the salad and adjust to taste.
- Spread mayo onto one slice of bread and top with lettuce.
- Place the tuna salad on top and finish with another slice of bread.
- Cut in half and enjoy.
Tips for Serving and Storing
To make sure your tuna salad sandwich is as delicious as possible, here are a few tips:
- Use fresh ingredients whenever possible, especially Fresh leafy lettuce and mayonnaise.
- If you’re making the sandwich ahead of time, store the tuna salad and bread separately until you’re ready to assemble. This will help keep the bread from getting soggy.
- The tuna salad can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Variations and Additions
While our recipe for tuna salad is delicious on its own, there are plenty of variations and additions you can try to customize it to your liking. Here are a few ideas:
- Add chopped pickles for a tangy crunch.
- Swap out the red onion for green onion for a milder flavor.
- Add chopped hard-boiled eggs for extra protein and creaminess.
- Mix in some chopped dill for a fresh and herbaceous taste.
- Add a tablespoon of dijon mustard for some tanginess and a little kick.
- Spread some avocado on the bread for added creaminess and healthy fats.
- Add some shredded carrots for added texture and sweetness.
- Mix in some hot sauce or sriracha for some heat.
- Use a different type of bread, such as sourdough, rye, or whole grain, for added flavor and nutrients.
- Serve the tuna salad on a bed of greens or as a wrap instead of a sandwich for a low-carb option.
These are just a few ideas to get you started. Feel free to experiment and find your own favorite combinations!
Find your next favorite dish recipe. Subscribe to My Youtube Channel!